Contact us

Making the Most of Your Current Work Environment

I come from a place where I used to treat my 9-5 like it was just a job. Wishing to go home early, overly eager to take my breaks, hoping so badly I’d get a phone call to say I could have the day off. I’ve found the problem lies within the overall outlook, that being it is simply ‘just a job’. Owning this outlook means you are putting an instant limitation at the types of possibilities you’ve made no efforts to seek.
I’m in a position where I’m extremely excited for my future, and know the career that I want. I want to share with you some incredibly enlightening tips, that I never would of thought or taken notice of. It was not until I started to realise my purpose within my job. When you are actively seeking to strive for nothing but excellence, and have a passionate desire to fulfil yourself with skills and knowledge you know that you need, is precisely when you can understand the importance of the following information I’m about to share with you.

I started to gain an understanding, that whilst working for a company or a brand, you are given an opportunity to understand how their business works. You are offered insider knowledge to the keys that make it successful, the important people within the environment, and get given first-hand experience at how they market and advertise their brand. Amongst most training that job’s offer, it’s a common requirement that you know the start-up story behind the company. Knowing this information can and did add such a high level of inspiration. I didn’t know that it could or would, until I simply started paying attention.
I became conscious of my thirst for information. I would think ‘I can detect that I’m not doing enough’, ‘What can I do to benefit myself now?’, ‘Where does my time belong?”, “What sort of things can I use to help me advance myself?”.
Asking those questions to yourself, and holding yourself accountable is the starting point to entering what has been prepared for you. When working for a company, you become available to adopt self-discipline such as working to deadlines. You gain skills from developing the ability to, for example, upsell a product. That’s persuasion, the ability to communicate key facts a client needs to know, and all done so in the most informative yet charismatic manner.
There are endless opportunities that I believe can benefit everyone in any type of craft. My passions lie within PR and Marketing. In our corporate purchasing information booklet, I started to make note of all the email addresses and contacts. I wanted to speak to them, intern with them. I started to analyse visual merchandising guidelines we would get sent when we were required to add new collections to the store. I would want to understand, ‘Okay, so why do they want to specifically place this here?’ ‘What is the purpose of advertising these products over here?’, “What success is being brought to the brand by putting this collection there?”
I would, and still do, read the hardcopy power points that summarise the new products and their intentions, so I can have access to understanding how this type of craft works.
Fortunately, having a job within Luxury Retail as a sales assistant allows me to receive information such as VM guidelines, current marketing strategies, seasonal collection intentions, social media marketing plans, as these are just a handful of factors I need to own an awareness of. If you do not have access to these, ask. Talk to your manager, inform them of your intentions and the relation that it has to your current degree or future career aspirations.
It should be viewed as a gift to be given a 9-5, not a burden. I can confidently say, this outlook only comes to those, and matters to those, who are striving for the exact same level of brilliance. A league of your own; a level you know you were created to be on. If you truly want the career you want, it’s time to stop making excuses and viewing your Saturday job as a misfortune.
Every business, no matter what it is. Catering, Hospitality, Retail, Beauty – every single one shares something in common, that being a dream and strategies. To those whose career requires leadership, to those careers that require an impeccable understanding about how things must work, to those careers who require management of various responsibilities, these are all qualities you experience and can practice at your 9-5.
Next time you happen to be at work, in your office, the bar, the shop floor – think to yourself. What can I think of that is in this environment that can be of use to me whilst I serve my time here? What qualities are within my resources here that I haven’t discovered yet? When you actively start to view something as a blessing anyway, you attract positivity and nothing but good things and feelings. Think about how amazing the experience will be when you change your thought process at your job.

0 Reviews:

Post a Comment