Contact us

An Open Letter To My Future Daughter

By Maisa Salum-Kilaly



Dear future daughter,

I pray that you’re not put through the toxicity and pain that I’ve been subjected to, there’s nothing I fear more than you possibly going through ordeals that I went through long ago or knowing that I won’t be able to always fix your difficult situations but I promise you that I will wholeheartedly try my best in doing so. As much as I don’t want you to start dating until you’re in your thirties, I am writing this letter with the intention of informing you that I support you through your dating and relationship experiences nevertheless there are a few things I would like to discuss that I hope will propel you in making the right choices.

The most crucial aspect is the phase of dating in the beginning, it generally sets the tone for what is to come when you have decided to enter a relationship with your chosen partner. The way you chose to date can define your relationship. Growing up you are going to hear multiple anecdotes about my experiences with the opposite sex that will have signification, prior to entering my first relationship we did not go on dates and anytime we spent together encompassed passing time in one another’s bedrooms, when we finally got together and I voiced that we should go out on dates more often, he responded with “I don’t do dates”, I would have to implore and the date would feel so strained.

Dating can be defined in so many ways so I can’t necessarily tell you “how to” date, keep in mind the aim is to explore a connection with somebody else. Through dating, you can set a standard of your requirements or expectations in a relationship if your potential condones going out or continually expresses he prefers spending time with you indoors then this will probably be brought into play when you get together. You should engage in wholesome dating which is a process that requires careful thought, the time that you’ve taken to know each other before a date thoroughly talking should be emulated in your first date.

You may have expressed that you have an adoration for poetry and your date decides to take you to an open mic night or your favourite cuisine is Spanish and your date decides to cook you tapas, this reflects sincerity and respect because they’ve made the effort to acknowledge your hobbies and interests. Building a connection requires communication, avoid dates that inconvenience this such as going to the cinema. Is your date a date? Make sure that both of you know where you stand and then make the necessary arrangements.

Don’t put all your eggs in one basket, I would urge you to date multiple people so that you can find somebody that is right for you, avoid being fixated on one person who might not fulfil what you’re looking for, become aware of the options available to you because you will start to learn the things you do and do not want in a partner. Settling in a relationship is the worse, find the person that takes you out of your comfort zone. Dating doesn’t only have to be about finding a companion, it can also be about creating friendships as well as networking.

You deserve to be in a relationship that necessitates respect, mutual understanding, trust, honesty, communication, and support, you can have boundaries in your relationship but ensure that they are established and respected equally by both of you. If you are in a healthy relationship you will not be subjected to any type of abuse (i.e. physical, emotional or sexual) or harassment. If you find yourself in a situation like this, leave and seek out support from the people you trust.

Try not to confuse love as infatuation, love is progressive and in most cases, infatuation is an immediate response related to the psychology of the mind. When you are infatuated you will find trying to satisfy sexual needs becomes a priority in comparison to love where you are consistently thinking about the person’s feelings. Infatuation is a powerful euphoria that will have you ready to risk it all, not in my household though! I’m joking, hold back from forgetting what’s real because you are in your feelings, do not allow your emotions to overpower your logic. You and your partner will communicate and confer expectations from one another through love.
I believe sex is a conversation that every parent dreads. Consent is essential and you should never feel pressured to have sex or do things that you are not entirely comfortable with. Just because you are the age of consent don’t feel like you are immediately ready to have sexual intercourse and don’t feel pressured because supposedly everyone is doing it. Contraception is essential to avoid unwanted pregnancies but also maintaining sexual health. Sex does not reflect your love for someone and they do not own your body. I remember my ex-boyfriend once said to me I could never leave him because he had taken my virginity, there’s a lot more to a relationship than poor penetrative skills – sex does not equate love.


Spend a considerable amount of time learning to love yourself and chasing after your dreams. Pursue your passions and cultivate your self-esteem, your life can be great without a partner through building strong relationships with family and friends, driving your potential, and living out life with your calling at mind. Not finding fulfilment in yourself will cause you to depend on somebody else to fill that void, you should be the only person that can validate and define yourself, not other people.

All my love,

Mum



0 Reviews:

Post a Comment